In July, the Digital Transformation Agency (DTA) wrapped up a public consultation on the Digital Identity Legislation Position Paper. Needless to say, we are concerned about the way that an eID would interact with our digital rights (especially since the government has a long history of trying to tie identity to internet access) so we made a submission!
- Prioritise an update to the Privacy Act and the precedent it may set for privacy.
- Do not integrate biometric data into the TDIF.
- Ensure that the digital identity framework remains truly voluntary.
- Maintain analogue pathways for individuals to interact with, and use, services.
- Ensure that there are easy ways to alter consent, and delete or alter data.
- Prohibit use of digital identity data for enforcement purposes.